Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Beyond Method #6

I believe I could learn how to help a patron download an Ebook from this site.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1400/1400-h/1400-h.htm

I'm not sure how one purchases an ebook and then creates a collection on the database they use such as Follet or some other automation system, or if this is something completely seperate and does not have anything to do with the other. Where is this information stored and how do you distribute it? I would like to find out. Do you have to buy the kindles, or do they bring their own?

I had a lady come in and ask if we had Ebooks. I had to turn her away. I didn't know really what to tell her at the time. Another patron came in and he had a generic Kindle purchased from HEB and started to tell me about Project Guttenberg. I found the web address and then called the lady back and told her the website and said these were free books she should be able to download. Most of these were classics , not current works we see on the shelves today, it is my understanding that they will introduce new books on this site and have a specific number they wish to offer to the general public for free and will continue to add to their content each year.

This is something I would like to offer our patrons; but honestly, I don't know how to do it.
Will our budget even allow for it? I'm clueless.

The video I viewed brings up alot of questions and I can understand where he 's coming from. Part of me thinks there will always be a place for books, no matter what comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment